I was warned working in an agency would keep me busy. And everyone was right. But this busy wasn’t overwhelming or stressful, rather informative and kept my day moving quickly, a feeling I want in a future career.
Here are some interesting lessons I learned on my first day:
- Media lists change like a girls wardrobe and therefore you must keep them constantly up-to-date.
- Writing a news release should take you less than an hour to write.
- When writing a news release try and repeat key words, it strengthens yours key messages.
- In meetings be ready to answer questions, not just about the subject of your project, but logistics as well. For example, how long will this project take you.
- The Starbucks coffee machine in the kitchen is amazing.
- I don’t think it is possible to live as a PR practitioner without a notebook of some sort to keep tract of the million notes taken, to-do-lists, questions to ask, etc.
- Ask questions. You would be surprised how much others are willing to help.
And last but not least…
- I can see only after one day my experience at Thornley Fallis will be well worth it.